Micro-needling is a modern method used by dermatologists to treat a variety of skin conditions and is one of the most recent treatments we offer at the Cosmetik Clinic.
The technique involves using multiple tiny, sterile needles to puncture the skin to cause physical trauma; this trauma then prompts the dermis and epidermis (the deeper layer of skin), to rebuild itself.
Micro-needling helps to rejuvenate the skin as well as addressing many skin-related complaints, including:
- pigmentation issues
- stretch marks
- loose skin resulting from weight loss or liposuction
In addition, professionals use micro-needling to deposit medication, such as vitamin C, deeper into the skin to boost the treatment of a variety of issues, including acne scarring.
How does Micro-needling Work?
Micro-needling can help address wrinkles, acne, scarring, and stretch marks by increasing the production of collagen and other healing factors by causing trauma to the skin.
Collagen is an essential protein that helps keep the skin looking youthful, with a firm, smooth, and stretchy texture. Aging causes the decline of collagen in the skin, contributing to wrinkles and other signs of aging. The skin of a younger person will rejuvenate within 28 days; with a mature client, the rejuvenation process takes place every 90 days as the collagen slows down. Micro-needling kick-starts the collagen to trigger the rejuvenation process. Skin can also lose collagen due to injuries, such as acne scarring, stretch marks and other scars.
It is important to note that micro-needling is not a quick fix, as it involves the growth of new skin. It can take several months to see the full results of the procedure.
The Benefits of Micro-needling
Micro-needling reduces the appearance of large pores, fine lines and wrinkles, scars and stretch marks.
- Reduction of wrinkles and fine lines: the loss of elastin and collagen cause thinning, sagging skin, and facial wrinkles. Micro-needling stimulates the production of natural elastin and collagen that reduces wrinkles and fine lines. You’ll have younger looking skin with no downtime.
- Improvement in scars: micro-needling is proven to diminish the look of surgery and acne scars. This procedure breaks down old tissue and triggers the production of new elastin and collagen for healthier skin.
- Reduction in the appearance of stretch marks: stretch marks are extremely difficult to treat and very few cosmetic treatments can improve their appearance. Micro-needling, however, has been shown to improve the appearance of stretch marks, especially when combined with other treatments like laser treatments.
- Preventing signs of aging: micro-needling effectively and powerfully stops the early signs of aging as well as preventing new wrinkles and fine lines from occurring. When combined with consistent use of corrective antioxidant serums, this procedure aids in brightening your skin that results in a youthful glow.
What to expect after Micro-needling?
Micro-needling isn’t invasive like plastic surgery, so the recovery time is minimal, requiring little downtime, if any at all. Some people may notice some skin irritation and redness within the first few days following the procedure. This is a natural response to the small “injuries” made by the needles in your skin.
You can carry on with normal activities after the procedure if you’re comfortable. Some people apply camouflaging makeup during the first few days as the redness dissipates.
It’s important to note that your skin will also be more sensitive to the sun, so sunscreen is a must.
After micro-needling, the skin works fairly quickly to rejuvenate new tissue. In theory, you should see results within a couple of weeks.
To maintain the results of your treatment, you’ll need multiple sessions and perhaps other complementary treatments. Your therapist should be able to advise you on the best plan of action based on your individual goals.
The cost of Micro-needling will depend on the size of the area being worked but tends to be less expensive than other treatments, like laser.
At the Cosmetik Clinic, we carry out skin pen micro-needling on large pores, pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles and scarring. Prices range from £150 for a single treatment up to £660 for a course of six treatments.
The number of treatments you will require, will depend on your skin type and which skin condition we are treating.
You can find out more about the micro-needling treatments offered by our experienced therapists here or call us on the number below to book a free consultation: